Our purpose is to improve patient safety through effective and independent investigations that do not apportion blame or liability. We value independence, collaboration, trust, respect, compassion and accountability.
Our purpose is to improve patient safety through effective and independent investigations that do not apportion blame or liability.
We deliver this purpose through:
- Learning for improvement - by using findings to deliver practical solutions, address causes and contributory factors and provide support to increase the capability within local NHS systems.
- Diffusing our learning - through effective communications and engagement with the wider health and social care system.
- We are independent and work with integrity acting without obligation or direction from external organisations.
- Our investigations are carried out in a professional manner with integrity, confidentiality and compassion.
- We treat each other with respect and collaborate openly to make a greater impact.
- We work in a way that supports our values and takes advantage of different perspectives.
- We seek to understand and reflect the views of everyone we engage with.
- We are truthful and are informed by evidence and experience.
- We have courage to say and do the right thing.
- We are people focused and will create a trusting professional relationship with everyone we meet.
- We seek out alternative perspectives and put our shared interests ahead of any individual or team.
- We embrace, and seek to increase, the diversity of our organisation.
- We are respectful of the importance of honest feedback to the people involved and the wider community on investigations.
- We treat everyone as we would expect to be treated ourselves.
- We are accountable for failure as well as success and will not allocate blame.
- We will show kindness and humility in our actions and behaviours.
Accountability and leadership
- We have a workplace “just” culture that values people and relationships ensuring all HSIB staff have the ability to speak openly and honestly but retain accountability.
- We are accountable for our conduct and our decisions.