The Healthcare Safety Investigation Branch has launched an investigation following a referral regarding a child who died following an unknown and undetected ingestion of a button battery.

The investigation will focus on the unknown ingestion of button batteries in children and in particular, on detection; product safety, design, standards and regulation; incidence in the UK and communication within services in primary and secondary care settings.

Please note that this investigation has previously been known as 'Button battery ingestion' and 'Undetected button battery ingestion in children'.

Contact us to receive updates

If you would like information about a particular investigation please let us know

Contact us to receive updates