Our purpose is to improve patient safety through effective and independent investigations that do not apportion blame or liability.
We deliver this through:
- Learning for improvement - by using findings to make safety recommendations, address causes and contributory factors and provide support to increase the capability within local NHS systems.
- Diffusing our learning - through effective communications and engagement with the wider health and social care system.
- We are independent and work with integrity acting without obligation or direction from external organisations.
- Our investigations are carried out in a professional manner with integrity, confidentiality and compassion.
- We treat each other with respect and collaborate openly to make a greater impact.
- We work in a way that supports our values and takes advantage of different perspectives.
- We seek to understand and reflect the views of everyone we engage with.
- We are truthful and are informed by evidence and experience.
- We have courage to say and do the right thing.
- We are people focused and will create a trusting professional relationship with everyone we meet.
- We seek out alternative perspectives and put our shared interests ahead of any individual or team.
- We embrace, and seek to increase, the diversity of our organisation.
- We are respectful of the importance of honest feedback to the people involved and the wider community on investigations.
- We treat everyone as we would expect to be treated ourselves.
- We are accountable for failure as well as success and will not allocate blame.
- We will show kindness and humility in our actions and behaviours.
Accountability and leadership
- We have a workplace 'just' culture that values people and relationships ensuring all HSIB staff have the ability to speak openly and honestly but retain accountability.
- We are accountable for our conduct and our decisions.